Putting the final polishing touches on the paper that I am currently working on, I noticed there was something weird about the spacing of the entries in the bibliography: For some reason, the space between the lines of one entry was larger than the space between different entries!

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

The references with default spacing.

Ugly, right? Now, I do admit that this might not be the most important thing, and that some people perhaps would not even notice this, but to me it stuck out like a sore thumb, and frankly, it bothered me. I have put a lot of work into this paper, and I want it to look good. I mean, wanting your work to look good is how the whole $\TeX$ thing got started in the first place. So I did the inevitable and went on a journey through the depths of StackExchange

There was no shortage of people asking for help with similar problems, or of people providing solutions to these problems. Except that none of the solutions seemed to work for my problem. Intuitively, I would have assumed that I could maybe change the length of \bibsep (or \bibitemsep) and tweak the line height a bit, but none of that was working properly. I have no idea if this was due to the pecularities of the A&A template that I am working with (which has given me headaches before…), or if it had something to do with the settings of the natbib package, but it was not until I came up with this bit of code for my preamble that I could solve my issue:


Using this little snippet, the bibliography now looks like this:

The references with adjusted spacing.

Still not perfect1, but definitely better than what I was getting from the default settings :)

  1. For so many reasons actually. After all, I am already using a customized *.bst file because the default one will not even produce links to the papers based on the DOI… ↩︎